UPDATE June 29: Disney has announced 11 2022 SharkFest titles arrive Sunday, July 10th. They’ve also added Big City Greens batch. We will update the stats and charts this weekend after we see what the July 1st video promotes. We expect 5 more titles to be added.
July, like the preceding 6 months of 2022, features another virtually empty content list. Will it rebound like 4 of those 6 other months did by adding additional titles in the July 1st video and then even more throughout the month? Hopefully. We miss the way in YEAR ONE and YEAR TWO they provided the complete list right off the bat. Oh well, we work with what we got so for now we’re basing our numbers off 14 scheduled library titles – a tie for 3rd worst month since launch.
It’s ridiculous that we’ve had to make a similar statement every month this year, but the Disney+ content team isn’t giving us anything. We aren’t going to lie and say otherwise. Here are all 32 months’ numbers. We’ve updated the numbers for April, May, and June to include titles that weren’t initially announced as part of their monthly lists which brought 1 into the green and 2 into yellow.
Library Brand Breakdown
[NAT GEO] – 17
[ESPN] – 4
[DISNEY JUNIOR] – 3
[DISNEY CHANNEL / XD] – 1
[ABC / FREEFORM / FOX TV] – 0 (3 months in a row was too much to ask for)
[20TH CENTURY FILMS] – 0
[DISNEY FILMS] – 0 – 3rd month in a row, 3rd time ever (Disney refuses to add classic films)
[RECENT SHORTS}– 0
[VINTAGE TV / SHORTS] – 0 (as always)
TOTAL LIBRARY – 14.
ORIGINALS – 9
RETURNING TITLES: 0
RE-LISTED TITLES: 0
TOTAL ADDITIONS: 23
Arriving On Disney+ July 2022
Friday, July 1
- 30 for 30: The Birth of Bel Air [ESPN]
- 30 for 30: The Good, the Bad, the Hungry [ESPN]
- 30 for 30: Hawaiian: The Legend of Eddie Aikau [ESPN]
- 30 for 30: Slaying the Badger [ESPN]
- 50 Shades of Sharks [NAT GEO]
- Marvel Studios Assembled: The Making of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness [ORIGINAL]
- Raging Bull Shark [NAT GEO]
- World’s Biggest Tiger Shark? [NAT GEO]
- World’s Biggest Great White? [NAT GEO]
Monday, July 4
- America the Beautiful [ORIGINAL]
Wednesday, July 6
- PJ Masks (Season 5, 8 episodes) [DISNEY JUNIOR]
- Ms. Marvel (Season 1, Episode 5) [ORIGINAL] <– STAFF PICK
Friday, July 8
- The Wonderful Summer of Mickey Mouse [ORIGINAL]
Sunday, July 10
- Baby Sharks [NAT GEO] – SHARKFEST 2022 premiere
- Camo Sharks [NAT GEO] – SHARKFEST 2022 premiere
- Counting Jaws [NAT GEO] – SHARKFEST 2022 premiere
- Jaws vs. Boats [NAT GEO] – SHARKFEST 2022 premiere
- Maui Shark Mystery [NAT GEO] – SHARKFEST 2022 premiere
- Shark Queens [NAT GEO] – SHARKFEST 2022 premiere
- Shark Side of the Moon [NAT GEO] – SHARKFEST 2022 premiere
- Sharks That Eat Everything [NAT GEO] – SHARKFEST 2022 premiere
- Sky Sharks [NAT GEO] – SHARKFEST 2022 premiere
- When Sharks Attack (Season 8) [NAT GEO] – SHARKFEST 2022 premiere
- World’s Biggest Hammerhead? [NAT GEO] – SHARKFEST 2022 premiere
Wednesday, July 13
- Chibi Tiny Tales (Season 1) [DISNEY CHANNEL / XD] – Finally, another title that had been exclusive to DisneyNow
- Life Below Zero: Next Generation (Season 4) [NAT GEO] – Still no news on the return of the 1st season they recently removed.
- Spidey and his Amazing Friends (Season 1, final 4 episodes) [DISNEY JUNIOR]
- Ms. Marvel (Season 1 Finale) [ORIGINAL] <– STAFF PICK
Friday, July 15
- Explorer: The Deepest Cave [NAT GEO]
- ZOMBIES 3 [ORIGINAL] <– STAFF PICK
Wednesday, July 20
- Mira, Royal Detective (Season 2, final 4 episodes of series) [DISNEY JUNIOR]
- Siempre Fui Yo (Season 1) [ORIGINAL] – Since it’s an international series, Disney disrespects it by binge dropping it.
- Tudo Igual… Só Que Não (Season 1) [ORIGINAL] – Since it’s an international series, Disney disrespects it by binge dropping it.
Friday, July 22 – Skipped Day #1
- As is now common since January, Disney has unprofessionally opted to not provide content on this day. Note: In UK and Australia they have listed Moana Sing-Along and Little Mermaid Sing-Along on this day, so we will get them too and this was just sloppy work. We are not counting them as library until they are confirmed.
Wednesday, July 27
- Big City Greens (Season 3, 4 episodes) [DISNEY CHANNEL / XD]
- High School Musical: The Musical: The Series (Season 3 Premiere) [ORIGINAL] <– STAFF PICK
- Light & Magic (Season 1) [ORIGINAL]
Friday, July 29 – Skipped Day #2
- As is now common since January, Disney has unprofessionally opted to not provide content on this day.
Leaving Disney+ July 1, 2022
We were correct 2 months ago that The Big Year would leave and last month that Horton Hears A Who would leave. We can now confirm X-Men Days of Future Past and The Fault in Our Stars will leave July 1st, August 1st, or September 1st. We cannot narrow it down beyond that at the moment. Additional Fox films are in danger of leaving as well. Please follow along here as we track removals and returns.
Analysis & Ramblings
We expect more SharkFest titles to appear. Nat Geo promoted that all of this years lineup would stream on Disney+ after airing on TV. We hope this is true, last year they held a few titles from TV back and never added them.
Last year Disney promoted the arrival dates, this year they only share the library adds from previous SharkFests. None of the new content is dated yet. Weird. Will it appear in August? If so, it means Disney has yet again taken a step backwards in distribution and release windows as last year most arrived within 1 week of airing. Update June 29: On June 28, Disney announced 11 titles arriving Saturday, July 10th. That’s not all of them. Yet…
Missing Titles From UK And Australia’s List (An Ongoing Trend)
Both UK and Australia show Moana and The Little Mermaid Sing-Alongs on Friday July 22. We expect them to arrive in USA as well. The UK completely shocked everyone by listing extremely highly requested classic ABC cartoon, Fillmore! We’ve previously suggested they should add it for Black History Month. It’s beyond unacceptable if this cartoon appears in the UK but skips USA and wider release.
We are very concerned since they’ve now started a trend of providing shows to certain countries only. Zorro has been available in Latin America since November. This Duckberg Life and ZOMBIES: Addison’s Monster Mystery are only available in Eastern Europe. This is complete nonsense since the ZOMBIES shorts series is meant to bridge the gap between ZOMBIES 2 and 3. Disney is releasing ZOMBIES 3 in July without the story that comes beforehand? OF COURSE THEY ARE.
Pixie Hollow Games is only available in Singapore. Disney+ Hotstar gets exclusive access to many shows including Bunnytown, Penn Zero, Motorcity… it never ends. The Disney+ content team needs top to bottom reform.
As always, disrespects Walt’s legacy by refusing to add content from his era. 13 months since the last film. 22 since the last short. 32 since the last serial. Unbelievable disrespect to their history mere months before the 100th anniversary of his company. Every month multiple titles from his era should have been arriving since launch.
Disney Channel and Cartoon Check-In
The cartoon library remains ignored for an unprecedented 10th month in a row. Except for in aforementioned arrival of Fillmore! in the UK.
Additional data: 46 Missing Cartoons
The Live Action libraries from Disney Channel, Disney XD, and Disney Junior have been abandoned. They’ve added 1 out of the many missing titles in the past 15 months. It’s nice to see Zeke & Luther, but where are the other series that released in that same year such as Aaron Stone and I’m in the Band?
Nat Geo Library Is Not Catching Up
How do you miss THIS many titles in 1.5 years from the service that is “supposedly” the streaming home of Nat Geo?
- Explorer: The Deepest Cave (2022) – Arriving in July!
- Gorongosa: Paradise Reborn (2022)
- Home Rediscovered (2021)
- Rise Again: Tulsa and the Red Summer (2021) (On Hulu in USA)
- Killer High The Silent Crisis (2021) (Left Hulu in May 2022)
- Our America: Todos Unidos (2021)
- Mountain Strong: Surviving the Creek Fire (2021)
- Serpent’s Surprise (2021)
- Our America: Asian Voices (so ridiculous this wasn’t added for AAPI month) (2021)
- Our America: Climate of Hope (2021)
- The Last Drop (2021)
- Mission Possible: The Race for a Vaccine (2021)
- The March on Washington: Keepers of the Dream (2021)
- North Korea: Inside the Mind of a Dictator (2021)
- Launch America: Mission to Space Live (2020)
- Butt Heads: The Strange Story of Sheep (2020)
And now that Disney strangely abandoned the batch strategy, the recent seasons of shows are also VERY far behind:
- Life Below Zero: First Alaskans (Season 1) – New episodes airing
- Life Below Zero: Northern Territories (Season 2) – New episodes airing
- AFV Animal Edition (Season 2) – New episodes airing
- Wild Fish (Season 1) – New episodes airing
- Secrets of the Zoo: Down Under (Season 3) – New episodes airing
- Wicked Tuna (Season 11)
- Life Below Zero Next Generation (Seasons 1 and 4) — Season 4 arriving in July!
- Port Protection Alaska (Season 5 – 1 and 2 also missing since launch due to a mistake that licensed them exclusively to NatGeoTV.com for a very long time)
- Wicked Tuna Outer Banks (Season 8, 2nd half missing because they forgot when they stopped batches to finish the half done one) – 2021
- CAR SOS (Season 9) – 2021 (Aired over a year ago. Previous seasons arrived.)
- Lost Treasures of Egypt (Season 2 skipped over when 3 arrived. Season 2 aired in 2020 and is currently stuck on NatGeoTV.com due to a licensing mistake) – 2020
- Atlas of Cursed Places (Season 1) – Streams outside USA.
- 9/11: One Day in America (Season 1) – Streams outside USA.
Additional date: Nat Geo Library Progress
July is not a good month for fans of Disney’s catalog. For half a year Disney+ has morphed into ESPN sports documentaries that trickle in and fallen further behind on Nat Geo shows. When does it end? We’re back to no ABC / Fox series. Disney recently renewed The Fosters, My Wife and Kids, Doogie Howser, and Malcolm in the Middle on Hulu. They don’t seem to care about USA Disney+ subscribers. All of those shows should have arrived in July.
Interested in further ranting? Enjoy this copy and pasted segment from last month. Nothing changes when the content team isn’t held accountable or challenged.
Where Is The Film Catalog?
Disney is skipping 2 “film Fridays” again. The continued negligence associated with skipping film catalog sticks out like a sore thumb. As we’ve covered TIRELESSLY, they continue not to license hundreds of films that are available to them including: Bridge to Terabithia, Dick Tracy, and Jungle Book 1994. All 3 left HBO February 28th, 2021. 2 of them remain in the Disney Vault while Dick Tracy has recently appeared on FreeVee.
Dr. Dolittle 5 and Flicka: Country Pride are streaming internationally, but after leaving HBO and Starz, they’ve been vaulted here. Disney paid 1 billion dollars to Netflix in order to pull 30 titles early. Of those, 3 remain in the vault. Those titles are: The BFG, Tini: The New Life of Violetta, and Hulk: Where Monsters Dwell. All 3 are streaming internationally. The BFG even streamed on Disney+ USA until last March when it moved to Netflix. Why won’t it return?
For the 3rd month in a row (and only 3rd month EVER), Disney is incapable of adding even ONE library Disney Pictures, Made-For-TV, or Fox film. Just none. There are thousands of films missing. The entire past decade of 20th Century Fox films are streaming internationally, but unavailable in USA. The Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures library remain untapped. Requests since launch for titles like My Date With The President’s Daughter, Parent Trap 2-4, Make Mine Music, and Model Behavior continue to fall on plugged ears.
Additional data: 85 Missing Disney Pictures Films
Additional data: Over 2000 Missing Touchstone, Hollywood, and Fox Films
Titles removed 2 weeks after launch (way back in 2019) remain lost: Shaggy Dog (2006) and White Wilderness. Disney continues to pile up content that had previously streamed, left for another service, and then completed that contract. Millions left Starz April 30th. Doctor Dolittle 2 left HBO May 31st. Ramona & Beezus has still not returned from its removal last year. Everybody’s Hero remains lost after its mysterious removal. Rio, Mr. Popper’s Penguins, Eddie the Eagle, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, and Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked are additional Fox films Disney added and removed (sometimes multiple times) that have not returned.
Additional data: All Titles Removed From Disney+ USA
Drew Ryan is a film, TV, and Disney geek. He has degrees in English, Student Personnel Administration, and Library & Information Science from Lawrence University, Concordia University-Wisconsin, and University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Interested in the minutia and licensing of streaming service content, he is always publishing lists, suggestions, and advocating for Disney’s missing library to be added to Disney+. Drew subscribes to Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, HBO Max, and Paramount+. You can find him waxing nostalgic over classic Disney Channel or geeking out over Marvel, CW shows, & Disney on Twitter.